RCI Inc. announced program details for the RCI 2012 Symposium on Building Envelope Technologies, and said a primary focus will be sustainable-design methods for strengthening and improving existing exterior building envelopes.
The symposium is scheduled for Oct. 22-23 at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown in Phoenix, Ariz.
The two-day program will offer 12 different educational sessions presented by experts in building envelope design, the organization said. Speakers will offer experience-based insights for specification of sound, durable building exteriors, with most of sessions focusing on repair and sustainable design methods for strengthening and improving existing exterior envelopes.
Building-envelope product manufacturers will display products and services; more than 250 building-envelope professionals are expected to attend.
• Seismic Assessment of the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral, Erik C. Sohn, PE—Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc., Fairfax, Va.
• Rethinking Gutter Design for Steep-Slope Roofing, J. Lawrence Elkin, PE, CCT—Applied Building Sciences, Charleston, S.C.
• Building Envelope Design Under the 2009 Codes: Glazing Ratio Requirements, Stéphane Hoffman, PE, and Medgar Marceau, PE, ASHRAE, CDT, LEED AP—Morrison Hershfield, Bellevue, Wash.
• Energy and Moisture Performance of Attic Assemblies, André Desjarlais, Fellow ASTM—Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Impressed Current Cathodic Protection: A Corrosion Mitigation Technique for Transitional Steel-Frame Masonry-Clad Buildings, Gina L. Crevello—Echem Consultants LLC , Accord, N.Y.
• Cold Roof Design Practices and Performance: Case Studies, Loren D. Flick, PE—Building Consultants & Engineers Inc., Littleton, Colo.
• Solar Reflectivity Studies, Vicente Montes-Amoros, PE, LEED AP BD+C—Curtain Wall Design & Consulting Inc., Dallas, Texas
• Gothic Revival: Lessons Learned From a Failed Historic Roof Restoration, Robert Fulmer—Fulmer Associates, Building Exterior Consultants LLC, East Hampstead, N.H.
• Building Enclosure Commissioning, William D. Waterston, RRC, AIA, and Wei Lam, PE—Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc., Boston, Mass.
• Curtain Wall Issues, Problems, and Solutions, Karim P. Allana, RRC, RWC, PE—Allana Buick & Bers Inc., Palto Alto, Calif.
• Low or High Vapor Permeability of Water-Resistive Barriers: Does It Matter?, Marcus Jablonka—Cosella-Dörken Products Inc., Beamsville, Ontario
• Combination of Wind Load and Rain Load on Flat (Low-Slope) Roofs, Stephen Patterson, RRC, PE—Roof Technical Services Inc., Fort Worth, Texas, and Madan Mehta, PE, Ph.D.—University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas.
RCI is an international association of professional consultants, architects and engineers who specialize in the specification and design of roofing, waterproofing and exterior wall systems.